Wednesday, October 28, 2015

The Art Galleries of Paris, Strasbourg and Sete

One favourite benefit of travelling is visiting art galleries. The Louve, D'Orsay, Picasso and Pompidou took hours to wander through. I was awed by the grandness of the architecture and the worship of the Mona Lisa, Venus de Milo and Monet's Lily Pads. We found ourselves taking lots of photos of the people not so many of the artwork. 

Of course we were part of the crowd gawking at everything but we still laughed at the craziness of it all. Modigliani, Van Gogh, Gauguin and others died poor after lives of struggle. Now their works are cherished and often sold for remarkable prices. Very few female artists are displayed in the big galleries. 


Anyhow, enough talk. Here are just a few of the many pictures. You can thank me for not posting them all! 
















12 comments:

  1. jealous!! would love to see those Matisses especially, bet your head is spinning from all that art :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. For some reason I hadn't realized how large and magnificent Matisse's cut outs would be in real life. They blew me away! I hope you get to see them one day, Kate.

      Delete
  2. Beautiful! Thanks for the virtual museum tour!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you enjoyed the tour, Jennifer. Thanks for visiting.

      Delete
  3. Wonderful images Carole. I bet you enjoyed all the galleries. Your pictures remind me that art needs space from other visual distraction and a large uncluttered space to view and fully appreciate a piece. Not like my house at all. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Mark. It's true .... art needs space and light.

      Delete
  4. I know how itt feels to wander through large galleries --- it can be overwhelming but wonderful too. I am intrigued with the image of the skulls etc...do you know who the artist is?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Carole, may I ask do you remember who made the piece with the sculls and night shirts.. Also where did you see it? I love this work. ~ Julie.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll send you the name of the artist if I can find her name. We saw it in Strasbourg, France.

      Delete
  6. an art infusion such as this month long one takes months to unravel. savour, savour,...! n♥

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm surprised at how long it's taking, Nadine! BUT I'm enjoying every second of it. xo

      Delete